Provider Training Academy
Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) offers an extensive library of training, interpreter resources and continuing education opportunities. We will add presentations, videos and other training resources as they become available.
Training and tutorials
The provider manual provides key information regarding the quality improvement program, utilization management (UM), quality standards for providers, claims appeals, reimbursement policies and more.
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)
A clinician’s tool for identifying risky substance use behaviors and providing appropriate intervention.
Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment, commonly referred to as SBIRT, is an evidence-based, comprehensive, integrated approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services to people with substance misuse and those at risk of developing disorders. The goal of SBIRT is to reduce and prevent related health consequences, disease, accidents, and injuries. Risky substance use is a health issue that often goes undetected; providers can help by incorporating this evidence-based tool that is demonstrated to be valid and reliable in identifying individuals with problem use or at risk for a substance use disorder (SUD).
If you wish to print SBIRT educational materials, please review the links to obtain a downloadable flier and brochure. For any further discussions regarding SBIRT, please contact your Provider Experience or Provider Relations consultant.
Learn about Availity*
Many of the tools you need — eligibility and benefits inquiry, claims submission, claims status inquiry, and authorizations — can be accessed from your Availity account. You can find instructions for locating and using these tools on the Learn about Availity page.
Cultural competency resources
Patient panels are growing more diverse and needs are becoming more complex. It is important for providers to have the knowledge, resources, and tools to offer culturally competent care. Anthem wants to help by offering the following comprehensive trainings and resources, as we all work together to achieve health equity.
My Diverse Patients
The My Diverse Patient website offers learning experiences, techniques, and helps you to provide the individualized care every patient deserves regardless of their diverse backgrounds.
Improving the Patient Experience
What Matters Most: Improving the Patient Experience is an online course for providers and office staff that addresses gaps in care and offers approaches to communication with patients. This course is available at no cost and is eligible for one CME credit by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Population Needs Assessment Report
See Anthem Blue Cross Medi-Cal’s most recent report on health disparities seen across our member population as well as the action plan for these health disparities in the coming year.
Cultural competency and patient engagement
Caring for Diverse Populations Toolkit
A comprehensive resource to help providers and office staff increase effective communication by enhancing knowledge of the values, beliefs, and needs of diverse patients.
Engaging a qualified interpreter improves effective communication between you and your patient. The interpreter services guide below outlines the interpreter services available to providers and staff through Anthem, in addition to practical tips for communicating with both interpreters and patients who speak limited English. This includes a page in 12 languages to help you say: One moment please while I call an interpreter. This service is free.
During business hours, members and providers may call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-407-4627. After hours, call MedCall at 1-800-224-0336. When you call for an interpreter, be prepared to:
- Give the customer care associate the member’s ID number.
- Explain the need for an interpreter and state the language.
- Wait on the line while the connection is made
- Once connected to the interpreter, the associate or MedCall nurse introduces the Anthem member, explains the reason for the call and begins the dialogue.
Face-to-face interpreters including sign language
- Members and providers may call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-407-4627 to schedule interpreter services during business hours.
- 72 business hours are required to schedule services, and 24 business hours are required to cancel. Providers may also schedule by emailing a request to email@example.com. Registration with our secure email is required. Please type “secure” in the subject line.
TTY and Relay Services
For members with hearing loss or speech impairment:
During business hours, call the Anthem TTY line at 1-888-757-6034.
Free Interpreter Resources
This poster includes scripts for the below message in 17 different languages:
- “Do you need help with your health care, talking with us or reading what we send you? We provide interpreting services for your medical appointments and materials in other languages and formats, including braille, large print and audio at no cost to you. Call the Customer Care Center toll free at 1-888-285-7801 (TTY 711) (L.A. Care); 1-800-407-4627 (TTY 1-888-757-6034) (Medi-Cal).”
- The language self-assessment form is a tool to document the language capability of practitioners and their staff.
- It is important that all bilingual practitioners and members of their staff who speak with patients in a language other than English complete this form, and keep a copy on file along with additional qualifications.
- Employee Language Skills Self-Assessment Form (Inside L.A. County)
- Interpreter Services Attendance Verification Form
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Arabic
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Armenian
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Chinese
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - English
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Farsi
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Hmong
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Khmer
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Korean
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Russian
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Spanish
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Tagalog
- Request-Refusal for Interpreter Services - Vietnamese
Provider tools & resources
- Log in to Availity
- Launch Provider Learning Hub Now
- Learn about Availity
- Prior Authorization Lookup Tool
- Prior Authorization Requirements
- Claims Overview
- Reimbursement Policies
- Provider Manuals, Policies & Guidelines
- Provider Training Academy
- Pharmacy Information
- Provider News & Announcements