What Matters Most: Improving the Patient Experience
Looking for innovative ways to improve your patients’ experiences?
Numerous studies have shown that a patient’s primary health care experience and, to some extent, their health care outcomes are largely dependent upon health care provider and patient interactions. That’s why Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield offers the online learning course — What Matters Most: Improving the Patient Experience — to address communication gaps and offer innovative ways to communicate with patients.
Through use of compelling real-life stories and practical strategies for implementing patient care, learn how to apply best practices and communicate with your diverse patient population.
Did you know?
- Substantial evidence points to a positive association between the patient experience and health outcomes.
- Patients with chronic conditions, such as diabetes, demonstrate greater self-management skills and quality of life when they report positive interactions with their health care providers.
- Patients reporting the poorest-quality relationships with their physicians were three times more likely to voluntarily leave the physician's practice than patients with the highest-quality relationships.
How will this benefit you and your office staff?
- Improve communication skills.
- Build patient trust and commitment.
- Expand your knowledge of the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) survey.
Get continuing medical education (CME) credits
Providers may apply their completion of the course toward continuing medical education (CME) credit certification. The training has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to one prescribed credit by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This curriculum is available at no cost to providers and their clinical staff nationwide.
My Diverse Patients
The My Diverse Patients website offers learning experiences and resources to help you provide the individualized care every patient deserves, regardless of their diverse backgrounds.
- What Is Patient Experience? Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. (Content last reviewed March 2017.)
- CAHPS: Assessing Health Care Quality From the Patient's Perspective Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. (Content last reviewed March 2016.)
- Physician Communication and Patient Adherence to Treatment: A Meta-analysis Haskard Zolnierek, Kelly B. and DiMatteo, M. Robin (2009.)